Carmel Valley is an affluent suburban planned community in the north-western corner of San Diego, California, United States. The community is composed of commercial offices, residential units, hotels, and retail stores and restaurants. This is not to be confused with Carmel Valley Village, an unincorporated community in Monterey County, California.
Carmel Valley is one of the newer neighborhoods of the City of San Diego, California. The community was formed by the City of San Diego on February 1, 1975. The construction later began in 1983. The name Carmel Valley comes from the Carmelite Sisters of Mercy, who established a dairy farm and monastery in the area c. 1905. Although the area was known locally as Carmel Valley, in 1974 the area was given the institutional name North City West in the master plan. The name Carmel Valley was readopted in the early 1990s.
Carmel Valley has an overlay of various school districts. For the elementary schools, the northern section is part of the Solana Beach School District (K-6). The southern section is managed by the Del Mar Union School District (K-6). Overlaying the entire community, the San Dieguito Union High School District manages the middle schools and high schools. Some Carmel Valley residents attend schools in the bordering communities of Pacific Highlands Ranch, Torrey Hills, and Torrey Pines. Carmel Valley schools are known for outstanding education and rigorous academics.
- Ashley Falls (Del Mar Union School District)
- Carmel Creek (Solana Beach School District)
- Carmel Del Mar (Del Mar Union School District)
- Del Mar Pines (private, nonsectarian)
- Ocean Air (Del Mar Union School District)
- Sage Canyon (Del Mar Union School District)
- Solana Highlands (Solana Beach School District)
- Solana Pacific (Solana Beach School District)
- Solana Ranch (Solana Beach School District)
- Sycamore Ridge (Del Mar Union School District); actually in Pacific Highlands Ranch
- Torrey Hills (Del Mar Union School District); actually in Torrey Hills
Middle schools and junior high schools
- Carmel Valley Middle School (San Dieguito Union High School District)
- Pacific Trails Middle School (San Dieguito Union High School District)
- Earl Warren Middle School (San Dieguito Union High School District); actually located in Solana Beach
K through 8
- Torrey Pines High School (San Dieguito Union High School District)
- Canyon Crest Academy (San Dieguito Union High School District)
- Cathedral Catholic High School (Catholic)
- Westview High School (Poway Unified School District)
K through 12
Carmel Valley Properties
This information is derived from the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) service provided by San Diego MLS. Displayed property listings may be held by a brokerage firm other than the broker and/or agent responsible for this display. The information and any photographs and video tours and the compilation from which they are derived is protected by copyright. Compilation © 2020 San Diego MLS.