Rancho Bernardo is the northernmost residential community within the City of San Diego. Rancho Bernardo is centered on Interstate 15 just south of Lake Hodges and the San Pasqual Valley. The first recorded landowner was Captain Joseph Sevenoaks in the early 1800s. Sevenoaks' ranch was a site of the San Pasqual Battle where Mexican troops fought to keep California from becoming a part of the United States.
4S Ranch is a master-planned community in North County San Diego. Although homes and businesses have San Diego addresses, 4S Ranch is 25 miles away from downtown, is more often considered part of the Rancho Bernardo community and is within the coveted Poway Unified School District. It is officially an unincorporated community with residential neighborhoods built around the 4S Commons Town Center.
Residents of this affluent neighborhood enjoy a community garden, several parks, dedicated open space with 10 miles of hiking trails, a medical center, in-community schools, sports leagues, community groups and events, and two shopping centers with stores, restaurants and services.
Captain John Snook is the first European to own the land that is now 4S Ranch. Because he became a Mexican citizen after immigrating to California and converting to Catholicism, he was able to receive the Mexican land grant that gave him the 17,000-acre Rancho San Bernardo in 1842. The land remained under his wife’s ownership after his death and was divided and sold upon her death in 1860. The land that is now 4S Ranch eventually came into the hands of the Albert Ralphs family (of the Ralphs grocery chain) in 1938, at which time the land was developed for agricultural use.
It was not until the 1970s that plans for a master-planned community began to take form, and approval to develop the first 634 acres of the community were approved in 1984. Housing development began in the early 2000s.
The 4S Ranch Village Center shopping center opened in 2003, and the 4S Ranch Commons Town Center opened in 2006. The 4S Health Center opened in 2012.
4S Ranch is a master-planned community offering detached and attached single-family homes, including townhouses, condominiums, apartments and detached houses. This upscale community is one of the most sought after neighborhoods in San Diego County and is particularly well known for being considered a safe, affluent, family-friendly community. It is also well known for being one of just a handful of Southern California communities with homes built with Shelter in Place construction, which is designed to keep homes safe from the wildfires that are all too common in this part of the state.
In total, there are approximately 4,700 homes in 4S Ranch. The Gianni and Bridgeport subdivisions offer condominiums, and the Ravenna and San Moritz communities have townhouses ranging in size from approximately 1,300 square feet to just over 1,600 square feet. Detached, single-family homes located in the subdivisions found throughout 4S Ranch range in size from about 1,200 square feet to luxury estates more than 4,500 square feet in size.
There is a master homeowners’ association for all of 4S Ranch with HOA fees that help maintain the community parks and common areas. Some of the subdivisions also have their own homeowners’ associations with additional fees. All of the homes in 4S
Residents of 4S Ranch are served by the high-ranking Poway Unified School District.
- Monterey Ridge Elementary, Stone Ranch Elementary, Design 39 Campus (lottery based)
- Oak Valley Middle School
- Del Norte High School.
Search Rancho Bernardo Homes for Sale
This information is derived from the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) service provided by San Diego MLS. Displayed property listings may be held by a brokerage firm other than the broker and/or agent responsible for this display. The information and any photographs and video tours and the compilation from which they are derived is protected by copyright. Compilation © 2019 San Diego MLS.